THE HISTORY OF MYTHOLMROYD STATION by local historian, Michael Allen
And the Calder Valley Line
1836, Act of Parliament for the Manchester Leeds Railway, was passed
1840 Trains ran from Hebden Bridge to Leeds via Normanton
1841 summit tunnel opened
Stations opened Todmorden & Hebden Bridge 1840, Mytholmroyd 1847, Luddenfoot Sowerby Bridge the original station dated 1840, on the site of the new Tesco supermarket, the second station on the present site, dated 1876 completed 1879 for the Rishworth Branch line
The contract for building the Mytholmroyd section was given in 1838 to Tredwell & Gerrard.
Mytholmroyd Station first station
The date of the first station, at Mytholmroyd, 1847 possible timber construction, unfortunately at the present time, the exact location of this station building is not known.
Manchester Guardian 23rd May 1846
Manchester and Leeds Railway, announces tenders, for the erection of a passenger and goods station at Mytholmroyd. [Information obtained, from Tom Wray, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society]
Public Notice in the Halifax Guardian 1846
History of the second station
Manchester Guardian 20th April 1870The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway announce tenders for the erection of a new Passenger station at Mytholmroyd. Wray L&Y Railway Society.]
Mytholmroyd 22nd April
New Railway Station – according to an advertisement, which in the newspapers, it seems that steps are being taken for providing this village with what it has long wanted viz. a new railway station. [Todmorden and District News.]
Mytholmroyd 6th May 1870,
The building of the new station at this place has been let to Mr Wilkinson, contractor of Mytholmroyd, and his work has to be completed by the end of August. [Todmorden and District News]
Mytholmroyd 27th MAY 1870
THE STATION – A portion of the foundation stones for this structure have been laid. The building will consist of station-master’s house, booking office, ladies` waiting- room, general waiting-room &c. The platform will still have to be approached by a considerable number of steps. [Todmorden & District News]
Mytholmroyd 10th June 1870
THE NEW STATION – From seven o’clock last evening to about the same hour this morning the traffic on the down line has been greatly interfered with at this station, owing to the rails giving way.
The first length of the wall backing the platform has been got in without accident, but in excavating for the other part the ground was found to be of that loose and soft kind it could not be keep up.
Several large falls of earth took place, and so far weakened the ground which the rails rested that it was considered unsafe to use them. Large openings were discovered on the line; travelling on the down road between Mytholmroyd and Hebden-Bridge had to be “piloted” on the up-line.
A number of men under the charge of Mr Uttley, inspector of the permanent-way were brought to the place, and along with the contractor` s men, set to work in filling up the excavation with a portion of the ballast of the railway. The work was continued through the night and this morning the trains were allowed cautiously to pass on in the usual way. [Todmorden and District News]
Mytholmroyd 5th August
THE NEW STATION? – In the news on the 6th May, it was announced that the building of a new railway station for Mytholmroyd had been let to Mr Wilkinson, contractor, of this place.
In three weeks, after we reported that a portion of the foundations stones had been put down.
June 10th recorded another item in the news respecting the new station building to the effect that operations were suspended on account of the giving way of the ground.
Since the latter date, little or nothing has been done beyond hewing a few more stones.
The old station with its rickety steps is still in use without much prospect of any change. The little that has been done towards the old fabric stands as a monument of engineering cowardice. [Todmorden and District News]
THE NEW STATION- After several weeks of fine weather the Railway Company have set about rolling away the reproach they had incurred, by allowing the contractor for the proposed new station to resume operations.
The plans have been slightly altered and the fabric is to be built close to the road; in that case, the embankment [the giving way of which put a stop to work] will not have to be disturbed. [Todmorden and District News ]
Monthly Archives: May 2012
The new Window displays are up for all to enjoy.
Thanks to Annie Lawson for producing such attractive displays – and to the scholars at Scout Road Academy, Pennine Horizons and Digital Archive together with local artists Annie and Sue.
Thanks also to Andy Glover who we pulled from vaccying to put the panels up with the assistance of Sue.
Last, but not least – thanks to the Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP) for their sponsorship of the 2012 project.
To finish on a down-note. We are looking for a £250 donation towards replacing two of the display panels that some ‘kind-soul’ has scratched across.
Hope to see you on Thursday